In 1917, The Pensacola Shipbuilding
Company announced its opening. They had received a large contract
from the government to build steel ships. By August 1918, the
Shipyard employed 1,500 people and were expected to hire up to
5,000. Due to the influx of workers and the need for the government
for ships, housing units were built for the workers. These were
located between "H" and "O" Streets, south
of Chase and touching Barrancas. During the war years, women worked
in the shipyard replacing the men who went to fight. During this
period, the shipyard grew and built its own electrical plant to
assure that the facility would continue during power shortages.
They formed their own militia to protect the shipyard and workers.
In WWII, the Pensacola Shipbuilding
Company was one of many shipyards that was contracted to build
the "Liberty Ships" for the federal government. Since the Shipyard's inception it has
been a waterfront M2 Industrial site and has contributed to the
economic growth of Pensacola and the area.